Friday, August 24, 2012

WWII Song Book [Guest post by Tammy McCann with VIDEO]

By Tammy McCann



I'm so thrilled to have this opportunity to share my musical vision with the Auditorium Theatre Membership.   Music for me is a basic and expansive form of human communication.   It’s a medium that is the most personal form of expression and also brings people together.  Jazz, in particular, is such a rich and varied idiom that allows one to create their own language. With this show I hope to  uplift and connect with the listener and the intimate setting of the Katten/Landau Studio is the perfect venue.

In my research of this time period I found music rich with humanity, love and longing.  The show is entitled “I'll Be Seeing You” because I felt this song embodied the heartfelt wish of a soldier to his young bride or a mother to her beloved son. That this was not good-bye but just a short moment in time that would be over before they knew it.  I’m so fascinated by the amazing strength of the men and women who endured so much during this time in our nation's history and I  wanted to share my interpretation of these timeless stories.   Please join me to celebrate the” WWII Song Book” and lets create some new memories together .

 ----
Tammy McCann is an internationally recognized Jazz Vocalist whose powerful, sultry, and soulful voice paints pictures and tells stories by merging Classical vocal technique and Gospel esthetic with Jazz to create a sound that is completely her own.  Or as Jazz Critic Stanley Crouch would put it, “Her pitch is superb,…clear on the top and startling at the bottom, while all of the steps in between are polished with swing...”    Ms. McCann’s warm delivery allows her audience to go on the musical journey with her and her engaging personality imprints the memory of her performance on their hearts.  McCann has performed with such luminaries as Von Freeman, Ramsey Lewis, Les McCann, and toured as a ‘Raylette’ with the great Ray Charles. With sold out shows in some of the top jazz venues in America including Birdland, The Blue Note, and Jazz at Lincoln Center's Dizzy’s Club Coca Cola and the Jazz Showcase.  Tammy McCann is one of the rising stars with a one of a kind voice.  Or as Chicago Tribune’s Arts Critic, Howard Reich would put it McCann has, “A voice that soars in all registers, at all tempos, on all occasions .. a voice that inspires wonder!”

About her upcoming show, “I’ll Be Seeing You – The World War II Songbook,” McCann says, "I’m so fascinated by the amazing strength of the men and women who endured so much during this time in our nation’s history.  In my research I found music rich with humanity, love and longing.  Timeless stories that need to be shared."

The show will feature, "Do Nothin' Til You Hear From Me" by Duke Ellington with lyrics by Bob Russell, "I'll Be Seeing You"  by Sammy Fain with lyrics by Irving Kahal, "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" by Duke Ellington with lyrics by Bob Russell and "Straighten Up and Fly Right" written by Nat King Cole and Irving Mills.

----

Tammy McCann: I’ll Be Seeing You – The World War II Songbook
Venue: Auditorium Theatre Katten/Landau Studio, 425 S. Wabash
Dates: Saturday, August 25, 2012
Times: 8:00 pm

THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT

No comments:

Disqus for Auditorium Theatre Blog