Thursday, July 12, 2012

Till Death Do Us Part [Intern Intro: Patricia]


By Patricia Morris

“Art is the only way to run away without leaving home”, Twyla Tharp


I was eight years old the first time I sat on a seat at a theater. I still remember how I felt; I can recall the smell of the 1800’s theater in Mexico (the country I’m from) and the beautiful sound of the Orchestra. I wish I knew then that I was about to condemn myself to a life-long relationship. A lot of things happened after that day… I began taking dance lessons, I suddenly became obsessed with classical music and ballet, I bought my first tutu, New York became my “dream city,” “The Turning Point” (with Mikhail Baryshnikov and Shirley McLaine) turned into my favorite movie and going to the theater became my idea of a magical escape. 

How did I end up here? Well, that’s a long story. I’m not going to get into a lot of details, but let’s say that apparently dance hunts me everywhere I go. That happens when you find your soul mate I guess. But I needed a lot of time to actually accept that beyond all the years of ‘dating’ and the mixed feelings I had about dance it actually was what I wanted to do. Now, you’re maybe wondering if I’m a dancer, and no I’m not. Not really. Let’s say that I danced for fourteen years, I still dance while I’m cooking and sometimes when I’m in the shower; I sometimes walk like ‘a duck,’ I wear a bun almost 4 times a week, and every time I see the pas de deux of Giselle, I share a couple of tears. I still truly believe that dance may be one of the most honest forms of expression; with just a movement you can relate, encounter, remember and cherish everything you are.

This is getting way too poetic and I haven’t even started with my story, I’m sorry, I ramble a lot. Anyway, I have a bachelor’s degree in Communications and Marketing, because as you can see I can’t seem to shut up, I figured communications was a good way to go. While I was in college I was part of a Contemporary Dance Company; since I was getting too old to become a professional dancer, I decided I wanted to be a writer. After I graduated I worked two years as a kind of arts/show business/culture editor for a Mexico newspaper, I started my first novel (which I haven’t finished yet) and somehow found my way back to art again. That’s how I ended up at the Espacio Cultural Metropolitano as the PR, Communications and Marketing Manager; and I did this wonderful job for three and a half years. At this point, I realized what I wanted to do for a living: be a patron for the arts. Working in a theater always meant for me, being a little closer to the stage; probably this is why I took a Marketing internship at the Auditorium Theater of Roosevelt University. Currently I’m an Arts Administration and Policy graduate student at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, trying to make my way into performing arts administration in the United States.

I guess I can’t talk about why I’m here, without referring to that little girl. That single event, which was followed by thousands of concerts, ballet, operas and Broadway shows, made me what I am today.

Sometimes I think how fortunate I am to have found my soul mate when I was just eight years old…

No comments:

Disqus for Auditorium Theatre Blog